Fight cancer in your kitchen and get your daily dose of veggies with this flavorful side dish.
Did you know that there are more than 100 species of carrots? Some are big, some are small, and they come in a variety of colors including orange, purple, white, yellow and red, but they all provide a significant amount of Vitamin A.
Thanks to their nutritional content, carrots support skin health, eye health, cancer prevention, and deliver a host of anti-aging benefits. Studies have shown carrots can reduce the risk of lung cancer, breast cancer, and colon cancer.
The pistachio nuts in this recipe add flavor and texture, but they also boast health benefits. Technically a fruit, these edible seeds of the Pistacia vera tree contain healthy fats and are a good source of protein, fiber, and antioxidants.
Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
1 pound carrots with fresh green tops if available
1/3 cup currants
1/2 cup chopped pistachios, toasted
1 tablespoon coriander seed, toasted
2 teaspoons anise seed, toasted
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 cup loosely packed picked fresh dill
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
1. Trim carrot tops, keeping 1/2-inch of the green tops attached if they are bright green and fresh.
2. Peel and thinly slice the carrots lengthwise.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and blanch the carrots for about 1 minute until they are slightly cooked but still a bit crunchy.
4. Shock in an ice bath and drain when cool. Pat dry with paper towels.
5. Place currants in a medium bowl and pour hot water over to submerge completely.
6. Let soak 10 minutes until plump, drain and discard water.
7. Place coriander, anise, cinnamon, honey, oil, lemon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender and blend until slightly chunky but seeds are not intact.
8. To serve, toss carrots, currants, pistachios and dressing together in a large bowl.
9. Be sure to coat the carrots with the dressing.
10. Add herbs and carefully toss to combine.
11. Serve immediately.
Recipe Inspiration: Epicurious.com