A Perfect Salad for Summer Entertaining!
Never tried sea spaghetti? You (and your heart) are going to love it. Sea spaghetti is a form of dried seaweed and is a great source of magnesium – a key mineral for heart health!
Sea spaghetti looks like dark fettuccine and has a similar texture – you can get it in health food stores or online. If you can’t find any, use another seaweed such as wakame, but use less of it.
1 1/2 oz dried sea spaghetti
1 1/2 oz ginger, peeled and julienned
3 carrots, peeled and julienned
1/3 cup rice-wine vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 whole cucumber, peeled, deseeded and julienned
1 large mango, peeled and julienned
2 1/2 oz peanuts, toasted and salted
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
2 tsp lime juice
1 tbsp groundnut oil
3/4 oz coriander leaves
3/4 oz chopped mint leaves, shredded
1 ¼ tsp Salt
- 1. Rinse the sea spaghetti in cold water, strain, cover generously with cold water and set aside for 30 minutes.
- 2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 3. Drain the sea spaghetti and place it in the boiling water with the ginger.
- 4. Boil for two minutes.
- 5. Add the carrots, boil for two minutes more.
- 6. Drain and pat dry.
- 7. Transfer the blanched vegetables to a large bowl.
- 8. While still hot, add the vinegar, sugar and salt.
- 9. Mix and set aside to cool.
- 10. Once cool, stir in the remaining ingredients and serve.
Enjoy sharing this delightfully zesty salad during your next gathering!