Vegan Vegetarian Gluten Free Dairy Free
This is a wonderful fall or winter salad that can be served warm or room temperature.
It is filled with cancer fighting plant carotenoids and a symphony of flavors from herbs and spices that aid digestion as well as support antioxidant cell protection.
- 2 lbs organic carrots, cut into 1/2 moons 1/4″ thick
3 tablespoons virgin olive oil,
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika(preferably smokey paprika)
- 1/2 tablespoon himalayan or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced put through a garlic press
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (if you like a spicy salad add more cayenne)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, or lemon juice
- optional : 1 tsp of orange flower water
- optional: toasted pine nuts or toasted walnuts to garnish
- Cut the carrots lengthwise and then into 1/4″ thick half moons/ half rounds
- Place the carrots in a steamer. Cook for 10-15 minutes until tender ( do not over cook)
- Remove immediately and place carrots in an ice-water bath until cool.
- Place carrots in a bowl, add the olive oil and the remaining ingredients, and mix well.
For best results, refrigerate overnight and serve at room temperature.
Garnish with sprigs of fresh coriander (cilantro) or fresh parsely leaves or chopped fresh mint leaves
photo credit: Moroccan Carrot Salad @ Westville Chelsea (Photo credit: feministjulie)
As Seen On: