This is a colorful and memorable Mediterranean salad filled with anti-cancer phytochemicals including sulphoraphanes from cauliflower, apigenin from parsely, punicalgins from pomegranate seeds, as well as cell protective flavonoids and menthol found in mint leaves. Additionally the aromatic oils in cinnamon, coriander and mint support normal digestive function. Olive oil contains healthy monounsaturated fats such as oleic acid as well as antioxidant flavonoids and polyphenols.
This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free
- 1 head of cauliflower broken into small florets (1 1/2 lbs)
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 celery stalks cut on an angle into 1/4 inch slices (2/3 cup)
- 5 tablespoons chopped pecans or walnuts or hazelnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley leaves (stems removed)
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, stems removed, chopped
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1/2 medium size pomegranate)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Mix the cauliflower with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Spread out on a roasting pan or glass baking dish
- Roast on the top oven rack for 25-35 minutes until cauliflower is crisp and parts of it have turned golden brown. (Err on the side of undercooking so the cauliflower remains crunchy)
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Decrease the oven temperature to 325 degrees. Spread the nuts on a baking dish lined with parchment paper and roast for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow the nuts to cool and coarsely chop them and add to cauliflower along with the remaining oil and the rest of the ingredients. Stir, taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve at Room Temperature