Mango, Avocado Arugula Salad
- This is a tasty colorful salad made from ingredients containing a variety of plant antioxidants. There is a traditional saying in India “A Mango A Day Can Keep Cancer Away”. In modern times we know that mango’s contain not only super antioxidant carotenoids, but also lupeol, a phytochemical that induces apoptosis, a process which turns on a self destruct switch in all cells, including cancer cells. Avocados are rich in glutathione, a natural cell protective antioxidant as well as healthy oils and Vitamin E. Red onions are rich in the bioflavonoid quercitin. Studies at UCLA have demonstrated that quercitin may stop viral cells from replicating.
Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free. 4 servings.
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 mangos, cubed
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups arugula (or spinach) leaves
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Slowly whisk in oil. Toss in mangoes, avocado and red onion to coat. Place on top of a bed of arugula or spinach greens. Serve immediately.
Variation: Garnish with cherry tomatoes or thinly sliced red, yellow or green bell peppers.