An easy recipe for a healthy bowl of tomato soup that will bring back memories and warm your soul.
This timeless recipe takes only 30 minutes to prepare.
We like to make several batches at once so that the leftovers can be frozen for winter months when organic tomatoes are hard to find.
Tomatoes are packed full of beneficial nutrients and antioxidants and are a rich source of vitamins A and C and folic acid, all while being low in sodium, saturated fat, cholesterol, and calories. So eat up!
Vegetarian, Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
2 inches of a large leek, sliced and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
6–8 medium tomatoes, diced
2 carrots, chopped
12 ounces vegetable stock
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon molasses, coconut sugar or honey
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon celery seed
Dash cayenne powder
Salt and pepper to taste
- Add additional vegetables! Try red bell pepper, zucchini, squash, cucumber, or spinach.
- Use the spices you have on hand. Try substituting in parsley, rosemary, basil, ginger, turmeric, or even cumin for a unique mix of flavors, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
1. In a tall pan, heat the oil and sauté the leeks, garlic, and celery until the leeks are golden and translucent.
2. Add carrots, tomatoes, and any additional vegetables and raise heat to high. Stir for 5–10 minutes as the tomatoes soften and break down.
3. Add vegetable stock, spices, vinegar, and molasses and lower heat to medium. Simmer for at least 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
4. Blend the soup with an immersion blender or allow it to cool slightly before blending it in a traditional blender or food processor in small batches.
5. Garnish with a sprig of parsley or fresh herb of your choice and enjoy!