Health benefits and flavor are equally matched in this mouthwatering salmon recipe
Salmon has earned its reputation as a health-supportive food based largely on its unusual omega-3 fatty acid content.
Omega-3’s are the king of nutrition when it comes to protecting your body, including decreasing the risk for developing several types of cancer, eye-related problems, and cardiovascular problems.
The pesto topping for this salmon combines mint and cilantro, two herbs that generously add to the list of health benefits in this recipe. Mint promotes digestion, and can increase mental retention and alertness. Cilantro contributes good amounts of antioxidants, essential oils, vitamins, and dietary fiber.
Spend a beautiful autumn day grilling a delicious salmon dinner and enjoying all the benefits that go along with it!
Gluten Free, Dairy Free
4 (4-6 ounce) salmon filets with skin
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of fresh ground black pepper
1 bunch fresh cilantro, rinse, pat dry
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, rinse, chop
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
Pinch of cayenne or chili powder (optional)
Note: Reserve a few mint and cilantro leaves for garnish
1. Splash the salmon with olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Combine all pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
3. Heat grill (or grill pan or broiler) to medium high heat.
4. Place fish on grill skin down.
5. Allow to cook until skin is crisp and salmon is almost fully cooked (about 10-15 min depending upon the thickness of the filets and if you prefer them rare or medium). Turn the salmon over for a few minutes only. Do not overcook. Remember the fish continues to cook after you take it off the grill.
6. Remove from heat and place on a platter skin side up. Remove the skin. Turn over to serve.
7. Spread Mint-Cilantro Pesto generously on each filet. Serve with mint leaf or cilantro leaves for garnish.