Here is a simple, easy to prepare dish made with two of the top cancer fighting super foods, walnuts rich in healthy oils and broccoli rich in sulphoraphanes. Adding cruciferous cabbage family vegetables is a core part of an anti-cancer diet.
- 2-3 Tbsp. coarsely chopped walnut pieces
- 1 lb. broccoli, stems peeled and sliced thin and florets separated
- 2 tsp. sesame oil, coconut oil, olive oil or ghee
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tsp. gluten free non GMO soy sauce or Braggs
- In a small skillet, toast the walnuts over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until the nuts are lightly browned. Set aside. (or put the nuts in cast iron pan inside a toaster oven for 2-3 minutes)
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket
- Steam for 4-5 minutes covered
- Remove brocolli from steamer immediately (florets should be bright green and still crunchy)
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, scallions, garlic and soy sauce. Add the broccoli and toss well. Top with walnuts . Serve at room temperature.
- Use toasted hazelnuts, pine nuts, or almonds in place of walnuts
- Toss with dried cranberries
- Add 2 teaspoons fresh chopped Thai Basil or Purple basil
- Use toasted sesame oil and add 1 -2 teaspoons of Rice Wine Vinegar for an authentic Japanese taste
- Make this dish with 1/2 lb. of brocolli and 1/2 lb. of cauliflower
Makes 4 servings.
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)