Genetically Modified Foods (GMO) have changed our world forever. Increased rates of cancers, food allergies, asthma, diabetes, autoimmune diseases and birth defects are linked to GMO Foods. One of the most powerful ways to avoid GMO foods is to eat organic and avoid all processed and packaged foods which typically contain GMO food ingredients such as corn, high fructose corn syrup and sugar and often soy products such as soy lecithin. Read labels. Look for NON GMO on the label. Demand that your local stores carry Non GMO Products. The Non GMO Project has both a downloadable shopping guide as well as a smartphone app that you can take to the grocery store with you Here is a list of the 10 most common GMO crops and a short trailer to the outstanding film
- Soy Up to 90% of soybeans in the United States have been genetically modified. Look for NON GMO on the label. Avoid eating soy products in restaurants.
- Corn 50% of all corn in the US is Genetically modified corn has been linked to health problems, including weight gain and organ disruption. Read labels. Avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup. Remember that animals raised for food such as beef, dairy, eggs, pork and poultry are usually fed GMO corn or alfalfa based feed which contaminates our entire food supply.
- Canola oil Canola oil is made from rapeseed oil. It is considered one of the most chemically altered oils sold in the US. Although advertised as “healthy” it is not a healthy choice at all. Use organic olive oil, flax seed oil and coconut oil instead.
- Cotton Do not eat food containing cottonseed oil.
- Cow’s Milk and cow’s milk products 20% of the all dairy cows in the United States have been given growth hormones. These growth hormones have been shown to act inside the human body and are linked to increased rates of diabetes, obesity and cancer.
- Sugar derived from Sugar Beets Genetically modified sugar beets were introduced to the US market in 2009 and are a source of GMO contamination. Do not use any product made with sugar from sugar beets. Because you may never know the origin of the “sugar” on the label of any product, removing refined sugar from your diet will not only decrease your exposure to GMO foods, but also reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease and obesity. Another reason to avoid refined sugar!
- Aspartame Aspartame is an artificial sweetener used instead of sugar by many people. There is some question concerning the the safety of aspartame in the body, including its possible link to certain cancers. Aspartame is manufactured from genetically modified bacteria.
- . Zucchini Genetically modified zucchini is more resistant to insects because it has been altered to contain a toxic protein from a soil bacteria. These inserted engineered genes produce an insecticide inside the plant is now found in human blood altering our immune systems and affecting the health of pregnant women and unborn children. Furthermore this insectcide becomes part of the population of essential healthy bacteria that are a normal part of our digestive tracts. Our own bodies then become a factory for producing a toxic protein that breaks down our own intestinal walls and leads to a wide array of health problems.
- Yellow squash Yellow squash has also been modified with the toxic proteins to make it insect resistant. This plant is very similar to zucchini, and both have also been modified to resist viruses.
- Papaya Eat only organic non GMO papayas from Hawaii. These papayas have been altered to be pest disase resistant, but they have also been modified to ripen later, so they can be shipped. This means there are less nutrients in the fruit. Many GMO foods do not contain high levels of nutrients as a result of genetic modification.
Additional Foods that May be Contaminated
Also beware of rice, wheat and flax products as well as many of the cabbage family vegetables (kale, rutabagas, bok choy, mizuna, chinese cabbage, turnips, rapini), squashes such as acorn, delicata and patty pan, chard and beets which are easily contaminated and altered by cross pollination with GMO crops.
Make sure your Vitamin C comes from a corn free source. Avoid food with “hydrolyzed vegetable protein” often made from GMO corn and soy.
Watch this 17 minute trailer of the movie “Genetic Roulette” You will never be the same. You will go home, throw away half your food and fill your pantry with SAFE non GMO organic foods!