Sweet and Zesty, this Healthy Salad Hits the Spot
It’s the time of year when I crave crunchy, healthy salads. This recipe brings together a variety of nutrient-rich ingredients, fantastic textures, and a tangy dressing that will bring you back for seconds!
Try using red pears for added color and nutrients. The red skin tells you there are more cell protective antioxidants including cancer fighting quercitin.
Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
8 Appetizer or 4 Entrée servings
4 organic ripe D’Anjou or Bartlett Pears (keep the peel on – it’s full of nutrients!)
1/2 cup fresh organic lime juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon lime zest
1/4 cup virgin olive oil or walnut oil
4 cups mixed organic baby lettuces
2 Belgian endive heads
1. Put aside 2 tablespoons of the lime juice.
2. Mix the remaining juice with the mustard, honey, salt, paprika, lime zest, and olive or walnut oil. Set aside.
3. Slice each pear into eights, carefully removing the core and seeds. Leave unpeeled.
4. Place on a plate and sprinkle evenly with reserved lime juice to avoid discoloration.
5. Line a large serving dish or individual serving plates with baby lettuces. Arrange the pear slices alternating with the endive leaves to make an attractive display.
6. Spoon the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
- Serve with sliced roasted chicken breast or grilled salmon.
- Garnish with toasted walnuts.
Trust your body’s instincts. You need fruits and vegetables in your diet and this recipe makes it easy to start a meal off right!