With fall around the corner, are you ready for a hearty soup? Whip up this antioxidant rich recipe and enjoy!
Turnips, sweet potatoes and pears are all considered sources of much needed antioxidants. While this may not be a typical combination, give it a try. This soup is gentle on the stomach and is a great source of important nutrients.
Turnips are cruciferous vegetables, which are rich in nutrients such as carotenoids, vitamins C, E and K. Sweet potatoes are known to contain beta-carotene which is a powerful antioxidant and sweet potatoes also pack a powerful vitamin A punch. Continue the cancer fight in the kitchen.
Cruciferous vegetables such as turnips have been associated with lowering cancer risk as well as lowering the risk of intestinal problems. Sweet potatoes are loaded with fiber, vitamins and phytochemicals that help in the cancer fight. Pears are great tasting, are also fiber rich and are loaded with antioxidants all of which help with the cancer fighting effort.
Be a little daring and add a favorite protein like chicken or even sausage to complete the meal – get creative!
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian Option
1 cup turnips (peeled and roughly chopped)
2 sweet potatoes (peeled and roughly chopped)
2 pears (peeled and roughly chopped)
2 shallots (minced)
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
1/2 Tbsp curry powder
1/4 cup coconut milk
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Fresh chives (sliced – to garnish)
1. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a saucepan.
2. Add shallots and saute for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add turnips, sweet potatoes and pears to the saucepan.
4. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
5. Pour in the chicken stock (or vegetable stock as a vegetarian option) and bring to a boil.
6. Cover, lower the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
7. Once the vegetables are tender, puree the vegetables with an immersion blender until smooth.
8. Add in coconut milk, curry powder and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9. Stir until well combined.
Serve with a healthy salad or protein!