A flavorful salad named after the colors of the Italian flag.
This Tricolore Salad recipe is one of my favorite, simple salads with a delightful combination of tastes and textures.
In fact, you can whip up the traditional salad in just a matter of minutes and this recipe serves as a great base for a variety of additional ingredients to keep your taste buds on their toes.
Gluten Free, Soy Free, Sugar Free
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 head Treviso radicchio, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
1 head Belgian endive, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
1 cup arugula
Traditional, but optional (if you eat dairy free)
1 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved into thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- Toasted walnuts
- Almond slivers
- Roasted pine nuts
- Dried cranberries
- Substitute crumbled goat or sheep cheese for traditional cheese
- Chopped fresh basil leaves
- Sliced fresh button or crimini mushrooms
- Lightly steamed long green beans
1. Whisk together the vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Add the olive oil slowly. Whisk until well blended.
3. In a large bowl, toss together the radicchio, endive and arugula.
4. Add the vinaigrette and toss again.
5. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
6. Divide into six servings and place on salad plates.
7. Garnish with thinly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (traditional, but optional).