Authentic Thai flavors, with a hint of spice, make this delicious and healthy coconut soup irresistible.
With its creamy texture, coconut milk is often considered a “miracle liquid” due to it’s blend of nutritional benefits, building up the body’s immune defenses to prevent disease.
Ginger is a wonderful and effective natural home remedy. The spice is packed with essential nutrients and rejuvenating compounds. While ginger has been shown to help countless problems, such as an upset stomach, the health benefits also include combating cancer.
Many mushrooms contain remarkable healing properties. In fact, certain mushrooms contain biologically active substances shown to help prevent cancerous cells from forming or recurring. Eating mushrooms regularly over long periods of time has been shown to decrease the number of cancerous cells in the body.
Enjoy a bowl or two of this irresistible Thai Coconut Soup.
Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
4 cups organic vegetable broth
1 1⁄2 cans full fat coconut milk, about 2 1⁄2 cups
1 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger (do not use dry powdered ginger)
1 stalk fresh lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups crimini (baby bellas) or white mushrooms, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced into thin rounds
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 to 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons Thai red chili paste, start with 1 tablespoon (optional)
1 small jalapeño or serrano chili
1⁄4 cup fresh basil or Thai basil
1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
1 or 2 scallions, sliced into 1⁄4-inch pieces for garnish
Red chili flakes, optional
1. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine broth, coconut milk, ginger, and lemongrass and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium-high and add mushrooms, carrots, lime juice, coconut sugar, 1 tablespoon chili paste, and jalapeño/serrano.
3. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Discard lemongrass and jalapeño/serrano pepper slices.
6. Taste and add additional chili paste if desired (optional).
7. Garnish with basil and cilantro. Optionally serve with red chili pepper flakes. Enjoy!
Inspired by Dr. Kelly Ann Petrucci, ND