This Sweet Potato Coconut comfort soup is easy, healthy, and absolutely delicious.
Sweet potatoes are high in both vitamin C and beta-carotene, offering an immunity boost from their powerful combination of nutrients.
Coconut milk is a creamy, rich liquid made from the meat of mature coconuts. Vitamins C, E and many B vitamins are abundant in coconut milk. Coconut milk is also rich in magnesium, potassium, phosphorous and iron.
While ginger helps common illnesses, it has also been known to help with ovarian cancer. Ginger possesses anti-inflammatory properties that may keep cancer from multiplying.
The health benefits of flavorful lemongrass are numerous, including relief from stomach disorders, insomnia, respiratory disorders, fever, aches, infections, rheumatism and edema. The antioxidants in lemongrass help in maintaining cellular health, healthy skin and immunity, while also aiding in detoxification.
This recipe is a perfect comfort dish filled with cancer-fighting ingredients!
Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
1. In a 6-quart pot, bring the broth, coconut milk, ginger, shallots, lime leaves, lemongrass, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a slow boil over medium heat.
2. Let the ingredients infuse their flavor into the liquid for about 20 minutes.
3. Decrease the heat to low and continue to let the broth develop for another 30 to 40 minutes; it will be worth the wait.
4. Remove the shallots, lime leaves, lemongrass with a slotted spoon.
5. Turn the heat back up to medium and cook the sweet potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
6. In a blender, purée small batches of the broth and potatoes until smooth.
7. Remember not to fill your blender more than two-thirds and put a towel over the top! Repeat until all the soup is blended.
8. Reheat, ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with the mint, cilantro, and some toasted shaved coconut.