This colorful salad will brighten your Valentine’s dinner, while serving up a hearty superfood: seaweed!
Edible seaweed is an extraordinary algae that contains a healthy nutrient missing in most foods: iodine. Iodine helps create a healthy thyroid which prevents symptoms of fatigue and muscle weakness.
This asian style dish also contains powerful antioxidants that reduce the risk of breast cancer and prevent inflammatory ailments.
Add ginger, carrot, and mango and you have a recipe full of sweetness and zest, just like you!
Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
1.5 ounces dried hiziki or wakame seaweed
3 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
3 carrots, peeled and julienned
1/3 cup rice-wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1 whole cucumber, peeled, deseeded and julienned
1 large mango, peeled and julienned
2.5 ounces walnuts, toasted
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
2 tsp lime juice
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1/4 cup mint leaves, shredded
1 1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Rinse the wakame or hiziki seaweed in cold water, strain, cover generously with cold water, and set aside for 30 minutes to soften and rehydrate.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
3. Drain the seaweed and place it in the boiling water with the ginger. Boil for two minutes, add the carrots, boil for two minutes more, then drain and pat dry.
4. Transfer to a large bowl and, while still hot, add the vinegar, honey and a teaspoon and a quarter of salt. Mix and set aside to cool.
5. Once cool, stir in the remaining ingredients and serve.
Love your body – feed it right!