Put a new spin on an old favorite with this Saffron Mashed Potatoes recipe!
Like other potato varieties, red potatoes come packed with starch, a concentrated source of energy, and (be aware) contribute a significant amount to your daily carbohydrate intake.
On the plus side, red potatoes contain vitamins and minerals like iron and vitamin C, plus a good amount of fiber, which make them a beneficial addition to your diet in moderation.
Garlic adds a delicious kick to this recipe. Studies show an association between increased intake of garlic and reduced risk of certain cancers, including cancers of the stomach, colon, esophagus, pancreas, and breast.
Saffron is a flowering plant which is widely used as a culinary spice. This delicious spice has many health benefits such as treating depression, asthma, atherosclerosis and stressful menstrual cycles. Saffron’s potential benefits extend to even treating cancer and helping lower cholesterol levels.
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Dairy Free
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
2 pounds small red skinned potatoes
8 garlic cloves, peeled
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil, to taste
1/2 tsp saffron threads
Chopped chives or parsley, to garnish
- 1. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan.
2. Add potatoes, garlic and 2 teaspoons salt and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Drain potatoes and garlic.
4. Mash potatoes, saffron and garlic in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted the paddle attachment or by hand.
5. Beat in salt, pepper, and olive oil. Check seasoning and serve.
Enjoy these flavorful mashed potatoes with a favorite lean protein of your choice!
Recipe Credit: ThriveMarket