You don’t have to be a chef to make this delicious gourmet chicken with figs!
Figs give a unique and sweet flavor to this recipe. They are a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps to control blood pressure. Figs also may help reduce the risk of breast cancer.
This chicken is coated in a balsamic vinegar glaze. Balsamic vinegar contains antioxidants that slow the process of aging, reduce blood pressure, enhance heart health, and strengthen your immune system, helping to fight infections and even cancer.
Let’s not forget about the chicken! Chicken is best known for its high protein content, but it also provides broad nutrient support including amino acids that are important for support of cardiac and skeletal muscle and all the B vitamins.
Impress your family and friends with a gourmet meal full of health benefits!
Gluten Free, Dairy Free
1 whole organic chicken (3.5-4 pounds)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large sweet onion, chopped
8-10 fresh figs
¼ cup balsamic reduction
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
Fresh rosemary sprigs
Water or red wine or cooking sherry
1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. Rinse chicken under cold water. Place in a 9” x 13” baking dish or roasting pan.
3. Stuff the chopped onion and rosemary sprigs inside the chicken. Place the figs in a circle around the chicken.
4. Sprinkle generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. In a small bowl or cup whisk together balsamic reduction, olive oil, and honey. Pour over the chicken, covering evenly.
6. Add ½ cup of water, red wine or cooking sherry to the pan.
7. Roast for 20 minutes at 450 F. Baste and turn down the heat to 325 F.
8. Cook until juices run clear and chicken is fully cooked (about 90 minutes).
9. Remove chicken from pan and place on a platter. Let rest 10 minutes before carving.
10. Place cooked figs and sweet onions on the platter with sliced chicken. Drizzle with pan juices and serve.