Enjoy sustained energy with this tasty lentil soup!
The complex carbohydrates and fiber found in lentils create steady, slow-burning energy. Lentils are also a good source of iron, which transports oxygen throughout the body, further enhancing energy production.
Lentils additionally help reduce blood cholesterol reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke!
The seasoning found in this recipe tantalizes the palette while also aiding in the body’s performance. Rosemary improves cognitive performance and has been shown to have differential anti-proliferative effects on leukemia and breast carcinoma cells. Paprika delivers high-levels of antioxidants and nutrients even in a small amount!
Enjoy this delicious soup on a crisp evening and reap all the health benefits!
Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1 cup carrots, diced
½ cup celery, diced
1 cup green lentils, rinsed
6 cups filtered water or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary leaves)
1 teaspoon ground smoky paprika
1 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over a medium heat.
2. Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Sauté 5 minutes.
3. Add lentils and water or vegetable stock. Turn down the heat.
4. Add rosemary and smoky paprika.
5. Simmer until lentils are tender and fully cooked (20-40 minutes).
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Place in serving bowls and garnish with fresh parsley.
Option: For a thicker, more creamy soup, blend half the soup and stir back into the pot before serving.