Grilled Chicken Breasts with Blueberry-Basil Salsa
This is a super summer recipe, a great source of protein topped with colorful salsa packed with super antioxidants that protect your cells and your DNA from damage.
The deep rich colors present in plant foods signals the presence of anti-oxidants. Some examples of anti-oxidant rich foods include blueberries, raspberries, kale, broccoli, spinach, carrots, yams, pomegranates, tomatoes, and tumeric to name a few. By including 8-12 servings of a rainbow of richly colored fruits and vegetables in your diet daily you will be increasing anti-oxidant protection for your cells.
Dairy Free, Gluten Free
- 1/2 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 jalapeno chiles, fresh or canned if you cannot get them fresh, seeds removed
- 24 scallions or green onions
- 3 cups blueberries (about 1 pound), cleaned and rinsed
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (2 to 3 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, very thinly sliced, leave some whole for garnish
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 6 organic hormone free antibiotic free chicken breasts
- Pinch of cayenne or chipotle pepper
- Heat grill to medium-high; lightly brush with oil . Grill jalapenos until slightly charred and blistered, turning frequently, about 15 minutes. Using a paper towel, pull off stems and remove skins from chiles. Roughly chop flesh and remove the seeds; set aside. Meanwhile, brush the scallions with olive oil lightly and grill, turning often, until soft and charred in spots, 3 to 4 minutes; set aside.
- Place 2 cups blueberries in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped, about five times. Transfer to a medium bowl, and add onion, jalapenos, lime juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir to combine.
Add basil, cilantro, remaining cup blueberries, and oil; stir together.
- Sprinkle chicken with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the cayenne. Grill chicken until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place 4 grilled scallions on each plate, and top with chicken. Serve immediately, topped with a generous spoonful of blueberry salsa. Garnish with basil and cilantro leaves.