Here is a very healthy simple easy to prepare recipe that provides anti-cancer Omega-3 oils and a full serving of protein from Wild Caught Salmon along with ginger root which supports normal digestive and inflammation functions. The addition of orange zest and orange slices perks up the flavor. The salmon is steamed with organic baby spinach rich in folic acid and antioxidants. Steaming the fish and spinach in parchment makes a super healthy main dish that stays moist and tender.
- 8 ounces (8 Cups) organic baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (organic oranges only-pesticides concentrate in the peel)
- 3 organic oranges, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 4 skinless wild caught salmon fillets (1/4 lb or 4 ounces each)
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into thin strips (1/4 cup) do not peel
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Coarse sea salt
- Coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Divide spinach among four 16-inch-long pieces of parchment paper.Top with orange zest and slices, salmon, ginger, and shallot; season with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil.
- Bring long ends of paper together and fold down 3 times to make a seam. Tuck ends underneath to secure.
- Place packets on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until packets are puffed and salmon is cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer packets to plates, pull open, and serve immediately.Four Individual Servings
You can assemble the packets ahead of time
To check if the salmon is cooked through, unfold the center seam of just one packet and take a peek. If the fish needs a few more minutes, tightly rewrap the packet so you won’t lose any moisture in the oven.
Adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday Food, April 2012