This is the most amazing, nutritious simple, easy to prepare appetizer. The delicate bitter crispness of the endive contrasts with the smooth texture of the beans and the sharp tangy sweet orange slices and zest. The sardines are a rich source of both protein and healthy omega 3 fatty acids so important for normal inflammation control and healthy cells. These omega 3 oils also support an anti-cancer environment. The beans and endive add fiber and the olives and olive oil contribute Vitamin E and monounsaturated oils. There is a modest dose of Vitamin C from the orange slices and their or juice. This is an appetizer that will be snatched up and enjoyed the minute it is servied. It’s that good!! Assemble the ingredients and in 15 minutes you have 12 mini servings ready to go! A double batch is recommended! And its gluten free and dairy free. Leave out the sardines and you have a vegan vegetarian version!
Ingredients and Preparation
- 12 endive leaves arranged on a plate
- 1 small organic orange from which 12 curls of orange zest from the peel have been set aside.
- Peel the orange, separate the orange segments and cut into small bite sized pieces, saving the juice. Place in a bowl
- Take 1/4 cup of canned white beans, mash and place in the bowl
- Pat dry 3 canned sardines packed in olive oil and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Slice 4 pitted olives into thin rounds
- Add 2 teaspoons of organic extra virgin olive oil
- Add sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Toss together gently.
- Spoon the mixture into each endive leaf.
- Garnish each with a curl of orange zest and serve at room temperature
- Add 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill or fresh fennel leaves
- Add 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- Replace oranges with finely sliced sun dried tomates and a splash of fresh lemon juice
- Replace sardines with smoked salmon
- For a vegan version, omit the fish and double the amount of beans and add extra olive oil
- Makes 12 small servings
- Gluten Free Dairy Free