Take that annual trip to the local orchard and experience delicious baked apples stuffed with apple crisp and a classic crumble topping. Two fall treats in one!
Apples are high in fiber and vitamin C and they are also low in calories. Plus, these sweet and tart fruits are high in polyphenols, which function as antioxidants.
This combination of nutrients and antioxidants are the reason why apples have been shown to mitigate the effects of asthma and Alzheimer’s disease, while assisting with weight management, bone health, pulmonary function and gastrointestinal protection.
The antioxidant content of apples ranks among the highest for fruits, and research shows that antioxidants help prevent cancer. Lung cancer risk can especially be lowered through apples’ antioxidants, according to some studies.
Honey adds rich sweetness in this recipe and contains flavonoids, additional antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease.
Honey and cinnamon are great for boosting the immune system, eliminating chronic fatigue and increasing life span. Both ingredients are also used for reducing cholesterol levels and thus provide additional protection to the health of your heart this holiday season.
These baked apples make a perfect Thanksgiving dessert!
Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Gluten Free
Yield: 5 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
For the crumble topping
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons ghee, melted
For the filling and apples
1 tablespoon ghee
9 apples; 4 of them peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons honey, plus more for serving
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup raspberry
1/2 cup apple juice
Optional: Ice cream or coconut whipped cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Make the crumble topping
1. Mix together the almond flour, pecans, and salt in a medium bowl.
- 2. Add vanilla, maple syrup, and ghee, and mix to combine. Set aside.
Make the filling
1. Heat ghee in a large skillet and sauté 4 chopped apples until they begin to soften.
2. Add in honey, cinnamon, lemon zest, and vanilla, and simmer, stirring often, until the apples are cooked through.
3. Stir in dried cranberries and remove from heat.
Assemble the apples
1. Slice the tops off and scoop out the insides of the 5 remaining apples, leaving about a ½-inch thickness on the sides and bottoms.
2. Place the apples in a pie or baking dish and fill with the cooked filling.
3. Top each apple with the crumble topping.
4. Pour apple juice into the bottom of the baking pan and place in oven to bake until the apples are soft and the topping is golden brown, about 25 minutes.
5. Serve warm, and, if desired, drizzled with honey and a dollop of ice cream or coconut whipped cream.