Nourish your body with healthy and simple ingredients accented with delicious flavors and spices.
If you’re looking for a great source of lean, low fat protein, the protein in chicken lends itself to muscle growth and development and supports healthy body weight.
Cauliflower contains high levels of vitamin C, which can lower your cholesterol and improve blood flow. Cauliflower is also a great source of vitamin K and high in fiber and folate.
Veggies such as cauliflower may help prevent bladder, breast, colon, prostate, and ovarian cancers.
Apricot is rich in antioxidants and electrolytes that help eliminate free radicals and toxins, strengthening immune function. Antioxidants in apricot lend it cancer inhibiting properties that can help control and prevent the growth of cancerous cells in the body.
Enjoy this healthy recipe and keep fighting cancer in the kitchen.
Dairy Free, Gluten Free
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons turmeric
A pinch ground cardamom
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 large organic chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch square chunks
1 tablespoon ghee
1 red onion, halved, and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
3/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
1 small bunch cilantro
1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley
1 3/4 cups water
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup dried Turkish apricots, separated into halves
1/3 cup Marcona almonds
Chopped cilantro for serving
- 1. Stir together 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl.
- 2. Add chicken and turn to coat well. Cover and set aside 30 minutes to marinate.
- 3. Heat ghee and remaining 1 tablespoon oil in base of tagine (or heavy-bottomed pot) over moderate heat until hot, and brown the chicken. Working in batches, transferring browned chicken to a plate.
- 4. Add onion and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to tagine and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes, then add the coriander seeds.
- 5. Continue to cook, stirring, until onions are softened and slightly caramelized, about 4 minutes more.
- 6. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for an additional 1 minute. Tie cilantro and parsley into a bundle with kitchen string and add to tagine along with 1 cup water, chicken, and any juices accumulated on plate.
- 7. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- 8. While chicken cooks, bring honey, remaining 3/4 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and apricot to a boil in a small saucepan.
- 9. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until apricot is very tender and liquid is reduced to a glaze.
- 10. A couple minutes before chicken is done, discard bundled herbs and add apricot mixture to tagine. Check for seasoning and add more salt to taste.
- 11. Serve chicken sprinkled with almonds and chopped cilantro on top.
1 head cauliflower
1 to 2 tablespoons ghee
1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lemon
- 1. De-stem cauliflower and break into florets. Discarding as much of the stem as possible. Pulse in food processor until it resembles small grains of rice.
- 2. Heat ghee in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the cauliflower 3 minutes until it softens slightly.
- 3. Add in salt, and cook 2 minutes more. Add in the rest of the ingredients and cook, stirring constantly, 1 more minute.
- 4. Check seasoning for salt, and serve alongside the tagine
This is a great potluck dish that is easy to make ahead. Enjoy!
Recipe Credit: Thrive Market