You can tell from the deep dark green of kale that it’s a cancer-fighting warrior!
Kale is one the richest sources of potent cell protective antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthines, and sulphoraphanes which trigger inflammation control.
The deep orange of persimmons reflect their high levels of carotenoids, which protect your DNA from damage and promote healthy lung function, robust immunity and healthy skin and eyes.
Together, they are a potent (and tasty!) combination. If kale doesn’t frequent your shopping list, it will once you try this recipe and discover it’s delicious health benefits!
Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free
4-5 cups kale
½ cup pecan halves
2/3 cup white wine or sherry vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons honey
Sea salt to taste
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup organic extra virgin olive oil or walnut oil
3 ripe Fuyu persimmons, cut into thin wedges
½ cup crumbled gorgonzola or bleu cheese (optional)
1. Preheat Oven 350 degrees F.
2. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Place pecans on baking sheet and lightly toast until golden brown (approx. 8-10 minutes). Watch closely to avoid burning.
4. Let cool and chop. Set aside.
5. Mix together 1/3 cup vinegar, ½ teaspoon honey and a pinch of salt in a small bowl.
6. Add shallots and let them marinate at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
7. Remove the shallots. Set aside. Discard the liquid.
8. Mix together 1/3 cup vinegar, Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon honey, ½ tsp salt, and a 3 twists of freshly ground black pepper.
9. Add oil and whisk together until well blended.
10. Stir in toasted chopped pecans.
11. Combine the baby kale, sliced persimmons, shallots and crumbled cheese (optional) in a large bowl.
12. Toss with vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
With all of the delightful textures in this health-nurturing salad, you’re sending a message of compassion to your whole body. Enjoy!