A recipe packed with health benefits!
Wild caught Alaskan cod is rich in healthy oils and fats that not only fight cancer, but also promote a healthy heart, normalize inflammation levels, nurture glowing skin, and balance mood.
Shiitake mushrooms are widely used in Asia to nourish super immunity and are prepared both in food and as a tea.
This dish is made with traditional oriental ingredients that give it an authentic and delicious aroma and flavor. If you cannot find fresh shiitake mushrooms you can soak dried shiitake mushrooms until they are tender.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free
1 tablespoon toasted dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon grated or minced fresh ginger root with peel
8 ounces fresh shiitake mushroom, thickly sliced, stems removed
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup organic vegetable broth
1/4 cup sake (rice wine) or Japanese Mirin Cooking Wine
2 1/2 tablespoons gluten free low sodium soy sauce or Liquid Aminos
2 1/2 teaspoons white miso (soybean paste)
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon honey
4 Alaskan cod fillets, 6 oz each
4 Green onions (scallions) cut into 1” pieces (discard white portion)
3 tablespoons cilantro leaves for garnish
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black black pepper
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add toasted sesame oil.
3. Add ginger, mushrooms, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add vegetable stock and rice wine, soy sauce, miso, rice wine vinegar and honey.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low; arrange fish on top of mushroom mixture.
6. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
7. Gently remove fish from pan, set aside and cover to keep warm.
8. Increase heat to medium-high stirring constantly
9. Add green onions.
10. Cook uncovered 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thickened.
11. Turn off heat.
12. Ladle 2/3 cup broth mixture into 4 shallow bowls. Top each serving with 1 cod fillet.
Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and freshly ground black pepper pepper.
Serve with lightly steamed bok choy or a simple salad of baby spinach and mandarin orange slices drizzled with toasted sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and a splash of gluten free soy sauce.
- Use sea bass, tilapia, halibut or red snapper instead of cod
- Add 1 tsp chili flakes to broth
- Add 1 tablespoon chopped Thai basil to broth
The delicious layers of flavor combined with health nurturing ingredients will have you savoring every bite of this go-to cod recipe!