This is a remarkably simple crunchy salad that is filled with cancer fighting plant chemicals. Arugula is a zesty leafy vegetable in the cabbage family rich in sulforaphanes which promote normal detoxification function. Fennel is an aromatic vegetable rich in Vitamin C and a phytochemical called anethole which promotes normal inflammation function by blocking a damaging and cancer promoting cell factor called tumor necrosis factor. Fennel is a member of the parsley family is also rich in quercetin, limonene and beta-carotene.
This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free and egg free
- 2 bunches arugula leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1 large fennel bulb. ends trimmed
- 1//4 cup snipped cut chives
- Tear the arugula leaves in to pieces and place in a large salad bowl.
- Thinly slice the entire fennel bulb into paper thin strips with a sharp paring knife.
- Add the chives and toss with dressing.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- roasted golden or red beets
- crumbled goat cheese or sheep’s milk feta cheese
- pitted kalamata olives
- dried cranberries
- canellini beans or garbanzo beans
- toasted walnuts or pine nuts
- roasted butter nut squash, cubed
- sliced chicken breast or salmon
This recipe is adapted from Nourishing Meals: Healthy Gluten Free Recipes for the Whole Family by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre, M.S., C.N.
(Photo credit: shutterbean)